- Amid of different unstable political disruptions over decades, Girija Prasad Koirala affectionately known as Girija Babu played the role of a statesman, peacemaker and state-builder.
- He headed the Nepali Congress and served as the Prime Minister of Nepal on four occasions including Acting Head of State of Nepal as the country transitioned from a monarchy to a republic.
- His political career of over six decades included everything organizing Nepal’s first workers’ movement protests, spending nearly a decade in jail to establish the democracy, and Nepal had experienced a brutal civil war for over a decade Koirala almost single-handedly lead for the peace accord with the Maoists, ending the civil war.
- In his published work (book), titled Simple Convictions: My Struggle for Peace and Democracy referred how he believe in own work and his diplomacy “Keep your friends close, but your enemy closer” to tackle and solve the several volatile political situations in Nepal.
- He had very international image and reputation because of his towering personality and diplomatic leadership. Former US President Jimmy Carter had expressed his admiration to Koirala as ‘Hero of The Nation’ and further praised as a “Great Statesman” who remained “unwavering in his commitment to sustainable peace and multiparty democracy in Nepal”.
- President of India Pratibha Patil mentioned him as “A towering personality in the political arena of South Asia”. Former Prime Minister of India Manmohan Singh described him as “A mass leader and a statesman’’. Former Prime Minister of the People’s Republic of China Wen Jiabao described as a “Statesman and an outstanding political leader of Nepal. These important remarks form global leaders shows the global recognition of Girija Prasad Koirala.
- G P Koirala set up the root to create an environment for the democratic and economic system instituonalisation. His economic policy integrate Nepal’s economy into the global financial system. For his such economic approach he is considered as architect of the liberal economy in Nepal, just as PV Narasimha Rao and Deng Xiaoping are credited for the economic reformation of India and China respectively.
- So, at last I would like to remember him as source of great inspiration and how we should contribute for the peace, developed and prosperous Nepal need to learn from his principles and that would be the great tribute for him.
Thank you so much